January 17, 2008

Surprise Inside Every Box

My friend Ken gets a kick out of the complaint letters I send to companies. I don't do it all that often. I send letters of recognition almost as much too. But when something ticks me off, I do feel a need to make my ticked-offedness known. Sometimes my gripes fall on deaf ears. Sometimes not. Case in point: the lovely folks at Potter Barn Kids who sent us a $200 gift card after my daughter slashed her sister across the nose with one of their place mats. That healed just fine and we got a nice lamp out of the deal.

Just kidding. We didn't take her pain and suffering money and buy a lamp with it. We still have the gift card. But we will probably use it to buy a lamp. Anyhow, instead of telling you my recent chili story, let me just show you the letter I sent off instead.

My veggie wife and I have been long time Fantastic fans. However, this weekend we happened upon an unfortunate surprise. As I began preparing a batch of Vegetarian Chili, I noticed an odd clump in the mix. I gave it a few stirs, but the lump didn't break up as I expected. So I picked it out of the pot and discovered a hard, oval shaped piece of something that was not textured soy protein. I rinsed it off to reveal a smooth, coffee with cream colored object, shaped like a marble squished half way down. We had no idea what it could be, but after holding it in my fingers for a while, the object started to feel tacky. When I cut, really broke, one end off with a pair of scissors, I realized what it was. To my dismay, I found myself holding a half eaten Werther's Original, or some other brand of, hard caramel candy.

I am thoroughly grossed out. WTF?

I kept the original Chili box, as well as the partially sucked piece of candy that came inside it, should you want to examine the nasty little thing for yourself.
I provided the lot # and SKU as well, but have yet to received a response from Fantastic World Foods. I also left out the fact that I licked the damn thing in an early attempt to reveal the mystery nugget's true origin.

6 comments:

  1. You totally should have mentioned that you licked it that definitely increases the EEEEEWWWWW factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear you truly sad story, but that's funny! You licked it! lol! Since the candy wasn't melted down, you have to know that it popped out of the workers mouth after the chili was cooked, but before it was canned. So gross!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, it definately came out of someone's mouth. It's actually a dehydrated mix that you add your own beans and veggies too. I scrutinized the darn thing for like 15 minutes. I thought it had to be something soy, but it was so smooth. So then I thought it was a rock. But when I broke it, it was like a light bulb going off and I knew it was candy. I was pissed. K just laughed and laughed.

    Still haven't heard back from Fantastic either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You're so funny! The story was interesting and everything and then I got to the last sentence and burst out laughing! So much so that I felt obligated to read the whole entry to my office mate. Who also laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have preferred not to have licked it, but I'm glad I was able to bring some cheer into your office.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear from YOU!