February 20, 2007

Brit-Brit's Hair Has Its Own Web Site

You know, I really wasn't planning to say anything about Britney Spear's latest "oops". By now, I'm sure everyone has heard about, and probably seen, the events that transpired over the weekend. For me, it's like the Anna Nicole Smith story: sad. Now, I really don't know these people from Adam, but who could have imagined that K-Fed would end up looking like the most stable parent? It just seems to me that we are watching Britney Jean Spears come unwrapped; and it doesn't seem right. It's not a movie or music video; it's real life. She's a real person and a real mother of 2 young children. I know she keeps putting herself in front of the flashbulbs, but still. This isn't entertainment.

I don't understand the obsession with celebrity that seems to permeate every aspect of American culture. It's nothing new, I know, but it seems to be running wild. I think it affects the celebrities just as much as the celebri-wannabes too. Usually not for the positive. People seem to become addicted to the spotlight and do what they have to to stay in it; for better or worse. And we want to watch them. Sometimes, for the worst. Why do we "celebrate" these people to the extent we do? Why do we watch E.T. and Access Hollywood rather than the Evening News? Why do actors get $100K gift bags for 3 minutes of "work"? Or a new Maserati for showing up to a club opening? Why doesn't everyone know who Kimberly Oliver is? She didn't get a Maserati. Oh, don't get me wrong, I had to look her up myself. Same with Muhammad Yunus? It's shameful, I know. I'm embarrassed. But then again, the awards ceremony that honors our country's educators isn't incessantly hyped for 2 months and then broadcast on ABC, is it?

This illustrates my point about all the lusting over the beautiful people quite well. Check this out. It's billed as "The Ultimate Britney Spears Experience," as brought to us by Esther of Esther's Hair Studio. You know, the site of Britney's makeover. Apparently, the beautician has teamed up with Britney's hair and the pair have launched their own web site. For a mere $1,000,000.00, you could be the proud owner of, not just the the teen-queen's discarded split ends but also the razor she used, the empty can of Red Bull she was drinking and the Bic lighter she left behind. Unless there's competition. In which case, the souvenir goes to the highest bidder. And People are interested. I really don't think that she'll snag the million, but I wouldn't be surprised if she got more than my year's salary. Maybe even a few years worth. After all, it is "a piece of history that can't be duplicated". Who could resist? I see Brits hair opening for the Virgin Mary grilled cheese at a State Fair near you very soon.

3 comments:

  1. I'll tell you why I read all the rags HD. The news is depressing. Crime. War. Hate. It's all bad and it makes me feel crappy. I prefer to bury my head in the sand. The tabs and celeb gossip, it's mostly fiction (everyone knows most of those stories are fake) and it's like a little mental vacation for me. I love speculating about what life in the fishbowl must be like, the spending sprees, the ridiculous pampering, it just makes me feel better about my own life.

    That being said, it sometimes does get sad. Seeing what's happening with Anna Nicole's daughter and Britney's sons, it does make me feel bad for those kids because they did nothing to seek this life and situation out. I must admit I do like the tabloids better when the stories they are telling are ridiculous and made up rather than sad and tragic.

    Hope that helps shed some light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, St. Paul picture gal! Thanks for checking back in. (Nice shot of the courthouse.) And thanks for knocking me back down a few pegs too. I was up on my high horse again.

    I do hear your point. These folks are entertainers and you want entertainment. Whacked-out stories like "Bat Boy marries Grey's Anatomy Star" are comical. But there's a difference between picking up a copy of the Star when you're checking out at Rainbow and not paying your electricity bill because you had to get that new Sidekick after you saw Paris Hilton using one in a photograph. Know what I mean?

    Kate Moss could get video taped snorting coke from Pete Doherty's ass crack and still get hired to rep. Fendi in next month's Vogue. If I got caught sniffing catnip I might not have a job anymore. Last night, I chose not to watch the tabloid show that had and ad touting an "exclusive" chat with Anna's nurse, plus another segment with some guy who could prove a cover up. But it's on so much, it's hard to avoid. I really couldn't believe it when Katie Couric did a piece on her for last night's CBS Nightly News. It's a constant bombardment.

    Have you heard of "Celebrity Worship Syndrome"? It's a term that's becoming increasingly popular with the psychology crowd. It's not an actual DSM diagnosis, but it's becoming such an issue it soon may be. The celebrity worship becomes an addiction. And with the ubiquitous media machines offering their dope 24hrs. a day, it's hard for a lot of people to avoid. It takes over their lives and people really don't know what's real and what isn't. On a lesser level, we're constantly being told "Look how great these people are, you should be more like them." It' constant manipulation, and sometimes, I just want it to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I subscribe more to the Celebrity Mocking Club than to the Celebrity Worship Club. I guess it's all about how you choose to approach it. Rather that run out and buy the sidekick Paris has, I mock her for having it out in every photo of her. We do get bombarded with all that garbage all the time and sometimes it's hard to escape it. But we just need to remind ourselves that we all have much more fulfilling ways to spend our days than trying to emulate people that aren't really real to begin with.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear from YOU!