January 07, 2007

Food For Thought

They call this the Alzheimer's Eye Test and it's down right bewildering. Maybe someone has already sent this to you in an email. If not, read the following sentence and count each "F" in the text. Don't skip to the end of this yet, just read and count and then move down.

"FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTI
FIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS..."

>

>

How many F's? Three? Four? Wrong. I counted 3 the first few times I read this. How about six? There are six (6). Really. I didn't believe it either. I read the answer, went back and read the sentence and still only counted three. Here is the explanation; from a 6th grade Language Arts class.

On to a completely related topic: there actually is a new laser test that scans the eye for evidence of Alzheimer's. It has so far been 100% accurate in tests on mice. Researchers believe that a protein linked to the disease shows up in the eyeball well before it does the brain. Alzheimer's is a degenerative brain disease that affects millions of people a year. Right now, there are no treatment options. Research like this could lead to, literally, life changing breakthroughs.


PS: The "Alzheimer's Eye Test" has nothing to do with diagnosing actual Alzheimer's disease.

6 comments:

  1. I counted 6. Does it mean I am safe from degenerating brain disease?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately not. You really saw all 6 though? I read that thing over 6 times and only saw 3. I skipped every "of". I even followed along with the mouse pointer.

    I got that in an email and thought it was the strangest thing. I sent it out to a few folks and they all saw 3. Maybe one person got 4. I guess you're just super smart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I changed the sentence to look exactly like it did the first time I read it. Not that I doubt your superior intelligence or anything. I'm just wondering if the layout makes a difference.

    So if anyone else happens to stop by here and reads this, let me know how many you counted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do not ever doubt my superior intelligence...
    btw, I still got 6.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Mrs. Smartypants. I also see 6...now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw 5 the first go round (missed the last of), but I think I had seen this before and knew to look very carefully.. ha ha I do not claim to be any sort of genius! :) And yes, Karen, of course you saw all 6 after the reformat!

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear from YOU!