December 18, 2006

Fraternal

As I mentioned, I'm in Minnesota. I don't call myself a Minnesotan, but I live in the Cathedral Hill district of the Capitol city: Saint Paul. Originally known as Pig's Eye, St. Paul is half of the "Twin Cities". Of the pair, St. Paul is the calmer, genteel, more polite sibling. Opposed to the snazzy and stylized nipper that is Minneapolis. A lot more people get shot in Mpls. St. Paul is the well behaved one. I like that.

If it weren't for such a conspicuous moat (i.e. the Mississippi River) to divide "The Cities", I'm not sure there would be such rivalry. And believe you me, there is a rivalry between this twosome. Personally, I see the metro area as one big locale with a river running through it. But there is a seemingly perpetual squabble here over who's hot and who's not. There are St. Paulites who refuse to be anywhere in the vicinity of Nicollet Mall after dark and Minneapolitans who never venture East of the river. Never. This was surprising to me. Pitiable as well. Each city has much to offer, and when it comes down to it, are kith and kin. I guess families are like that some time.

Here are a few pictures I snapped with my cell phone while driving around town. Clockwise: St. Paul skyline from tower at Wabasha St Caves, Landmark Center, St. Paul Cathedral, Capitol bldg.


8 comments:

  1. Makes me think of the North Side, South Side Chicago thing. I never really thought about it, but eventually figured out that I knew nothing of the South Side, having lived on the North Side. I still don't really know anything about the South Side. Go Cubs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very much like that. Cubs rule, Sox drool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about Miss America? Seems kind of antiquated and condescending for the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, it's Miss USA I guess. Donald Trump is in charge. They talked about taking her crown away b/c she went to bars when she was underage. Anyway, my point is that the whole Miss USA pagent is condescending to women.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't understand what the miss usa has to do with the twin cities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nobody hassled Anya when she wrote unrelated things on the cow post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In 1976, Barbara Peterson, from the Twin Cities suburb of Edina, was crowned Miss MN. She then went on to win the Miss USA pageant! Unfortunately, at the 1976 Miss Universe pageant, she became the first Miss USA to fail to make the semi-finals.

    Six degrees of Kevin Bacon. Let's move on now.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear from YOU!