February 16, 2007

Solemn

I had to dial 911 yesterday afternoon.

When I first started this whole blog thing, I mentioned that my office window provides me a view of the Robert St. Bridge as it spans the Mississippi River here in downtown Saint Paul. I'm a social worker for the county. Although I was on the job, my call was not exactly work related.

While packing things up for the day, I noticed a person on the bridge. It's a busy overpass and pedestrian traffic is common. But this person had stopped in the middle of the bridge; at it's highest point. And he stayed there, looking down at the water, for a very long time. Occasionally, he would lean over the cement barrier. It was almost chest high. But he would quickly back off and then pace the same 10 or so feet of sidewalk. He was dressed in a big parka with the hood drawn tightly around his face. I watched him for some time. A pattern soon became alarmingly evident. He would lean over the edge, back off, pace and lean over again; each time a little further. It was not typical sightseeing behavior. I started feeling very uncomfortable with the scene that was unfolding before me. Then one time, he leaned over the ledge and stayed there. Instead of jumping back, he lifted his left leg to the top of the rail and raised himself up; but fell back to the sidewalk after a few seconds. Those were a horrifyingly tense few seconds.

I placed a call to the Sheriff's deputies, who are stationed in our building, to let them know someone may be in need of help. When the man got his knee over the ledge a second time, I called 911.

Police and Fire vehicles arrived in less than 3 minutes. They blocked traffic from both directions and slowly made their way to the man in the parka. He stood very still the entire time. A short conversation took place and he quietly, and unassisted, took a seat in the back of one of the cruisers.

If, for whatever reason, you find yourself entering a nursing facility in Ramsey County (MN) and are under 65 years of age, it's more than likely that you will get a visit from me. Most folks are surprised at how many younger adults are admitted to such facilities. It's an unfortunate fact that many people don't know about until they, or a loved one, are facing the reality of it themselves. If it's happening to you, and we're meeting under these circumstances, your probably not having a great month. Tragically, I have met many (way to many) individuals who have attempted suicide and lived. Often times, they can't walk, or talk, remember their name, or breath without the aid of a machine. The thought of actually witnessing someone commit the act, made me sick to my stomach. I was literally shaking while on that call to the police. I was so thankful they arrived so quickly.

This morning, one of our Deputies stopped by my desk. He thanked me for the call and told me that the person, who was actually a woman, admitted that she was, in fact, trying to throw herself off the bridge.

Life is complicated. I truly hope that she is thankful the police arrived too.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! You single handedly saved a life. That's awe inspiring. Thank God you took a moment to look out the window... then stayed. You could have just moved on.. thought of your own family at home and raced to be w/ them, but you took some time out of your life for a perfect stranger. You watched over her to make sure she was going to be okay. You took action and she was saved. She may not be thankful at this moment, but someday she will be glad for the call. I wonder if they told her they got an anonymous call!

    I wonder if she was surprised that someone cared. I hope that that small act of kindness (that was actually HUGE) will help her to remember that many people do care... even those not in her immediate circle.

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you were able to recognize that behavior. I'd probably think that the person was just goofing off until it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you were definitely at the right place at the right time, and the right person to realize that something was going on with this person besides sightseeing! I am so glad you took that extra moment to pay attention to that person in pain. Lets hope she is now getting the help she needs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a dreadful thing to witness, and then, sort of, become involved with. I would like not to have to do that again.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear from YOU!