February 21, 2007

Heartfelt

Just yesterday I said that I didn't feel a need to discuss Britney Spears; but I have to do it again. Although it's Brittney related, it's not exactly about her. It's really about Craig Ferguson. If the name doesn't ring a bell, he's the blithe Scotsman who host's CBS's, aptly named, Late Late Show, with Craig Ferguson.

If you do know him, you may also know that Ferguson doesn't script his opening monologues. He picks a topic from the day, and as they say in the biz, riffs of it. It's all improv. I just happened to hear this fact on talk radio a few weeks ago. On Monday night, however, he delivered a slightly different kind of commentary than his audience is used to. It was funny, and there were jokes, but it was pretty serious. Very serious really. And I was surprised, and impressed, with what he chose to do.

If you've ever seen the Late Late show, you know that Ferguson can hit hit comedic targets fairly hard. And, like with most late night host, Britney Spears was a frequent mark. You would also know that Ferguson doesn't hide the fact that he's an alcoholic (who's on his 15th year of sobriety). In Monday's address, rather than starting out the show with a zinger about Britney's chrome-dome or 24hr. rehab stay, he mostly talked about himself, his own troubles with substance abuse and his struggles with recovery. He said that his main source of support is talking with others who share his problem. "They are very easy to find" he quipped. "Right there near the very front of the phone book." Before that, he described the time he prepared for his own death, on Christmas morning, a decade and a half ago. He joked that alcohol actually saved his life that day because he ended up drunk, forgetting his plans. He started rehab a few months later.

So how does Britney Spears enter the picture? After seeing photos of the newly exposed pop-star, Ferguson declared that he couldn't make jokes at the expense of the "vulnerable." He also verbalized concern that she may be dealing with the same kinds of issues he has faced himself.

"For me, comedy should have a certain amount of joy in it," Ferguson said. "It should be about attacking the powerful - the politicians, the Trumps, the blowhards...going after them. We shouldn't be attacking the vulnerable. I think my aim's been off a bit." Ferguson also added, "Now I'm not saying Britney is alcoholic, I don't know what she is , alcoholic or not, but she clearly needs help."

Comedians are always claiming that those they offend just aren't "in on the joke." The media and paparazzi don't really seem to care who gets hurt in their search for what they consider news. I applaud Craig Ferguson for drawing a moral line, making himself so vulnerable, for reaching out to Britney, and for reaching out the rest of us as at the same time.

It's about 13 minutes, and worth the time to watch for youself.

1 comment:

  1. - What also floats in the water?

    - Very small rocks.

    I was sad when Craig Kilborn left the Late Late Show because his show was different from the norm for the most part. He brought a few different ideas and he didn't spend much time with his opening monologue. They brought in Craig Ferguson and for a while I tuned out because I wasn't sure if Drew Carey's boss and the British accent was an ideal talk show host that I could enjoy watching.

    [at the time, I only had TV via my roof antenna, so I was very limited to shows I could watch]

    So I finally gave in one evening and watched what Craig Ferguson was all about. I'll skip ahead to today, when I do watch the Late Late Show, I look forward to his opening monologues because they are unlike any other show out there today. They are down right witty, laughable and very interesting.

    So reading your post today saying that Craig Ferguson's opening monologue is unscripted! I'm in disbelief actually. All this time I've thought he's had dang good writers for the opening and the stories were so imaginative, but they were all improved.

    That makes me respect his show more. Thanks for that tidbit and for stopping by my blog and giving me relief that someone knew what movie I was talking about with my Holy Grail title.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear from YOU!