January 02, 2007

MMVII

Happy 2007! The family and I were back in the Bay State to celebrate a New England Christmas. All was merry. The girls were finally introduced to the rest of their non-Midwestern relatives. I think they enjoyed their brief celebrity status. Although, I must admit, they do seem to be a hit wherever we go. But I'm glad to be back home. My own home. Not just the abode we live in, but the little niche that my wife and I are constructing together for our new brood. Visits like this always make me think about the importance of family and heritage. And now, with my own new family, there's a lot more to think about.


The Mrs. and I did get a change to head into Boston for a little shopping and some premium sea food. Grandma T. made it out like she was doing us a favor by watching the girls for the day. I think we both know it was really the other way around. I'm glad she got to spend the day alone with her granddaughters. So we explored the "Big Dig", Faneuil Hall and ate at the oldest restaurant in America: the Union Oyster House; est. 1826. Which is located just across the narrow, cobble stoned, street from America's oldest continuously run tavern: The Bell In Hand; est. 1795. Since Boston is a city with such rich American history, we did hop on the Freedom Trail for a while too. We stopped to look at the Old North Church and were lucky enough to be invited inside. Actually, I think we inadvertently infiltrated the ranks of a tour group that had just arrived at the site. We got to sit in our own family box-pew while we listened to a little history about the church and, of course, Paul Revere . You know, "One if by land, Two if by sea." And I'm glad we did, because I learned that Longfellow didn't exactly get the story straight. First off, Paul Revere wasn't the only rider that consequential night. He was one of 10. Those other 9 guys risked life and limb, just like PR, but got jilted by the poet. But the declaration that really startled me, is that Paul Revere wasn't actually the one who hung the lanterns in the belfry. So, "listen my children and you shall hear, of the midnight ride of Paul Revere." But not of poor church sexton, Robert Newman, who really hung those lanterns to alert Boston that the Redcoats were coming. It was 2, by the way; and he's the dude who really got the shaft. At least now he has a window named after him. That would be the window of the church he used to escape from the intruding British soldiers. Who, unfortunately, caught up with Newman at his home and arrested him under suspicion of treason.

Newman was later released due to lack of evidence. But apparently, properly honoring our patriots has been an issue since before we were even a country. Happy New Year. Support our troops. Bring them home safe & soon.

4 comments:

  1. Who the "H" is waygyc215, and why does s/he want you to buy clothes at Abercrombie & Fitch?!!

    OK, who cares. I digress.

    First off, your girls, minus Candice, are chubby and delicious. I just love those cheeks. Elka was a totally chub, and Birgit is a skinny mini, of which I think is really strange. There is nothing weirder than a skinny kid, and that's the Gitzter.

    Second, I just have to say that I really appreciate your entries not totally being consumed by family stories. I enjoy reading about the history you've experienced on your trip, your thoughts on the "o" day. It's a a breath of fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you AM! That's great to hear. I'm glad you keep checking in.

    Our girls are healthy, that's for sure. Which is fine with me, because they were born a month early. They were actually a lot chubbier a few months ago. Both seem to be starting to get a little longer & leaner this month.

    And Waygyc was full of sh...spam. He's all gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be in a seafood restaurant in Boston right now. I'd like some clam chowder and a lobster roll. I'm wicked jealous of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I say this before, but the Union chowder may have been the best clam chowder I've ever had. At the least, it was wicked good chowda.

    ReplyDelete

Let's hear from YOU!